Monday, February 10, 2014

Is Anyone Still There? Can Anyone Still Hear Me? Paris Isn't Dead Yet, Don't Kill It. Please.

You want to know how to be alone? No you don't, no one wants to be alone, I mean not really.... But I'll tell you how anyways.

1. Surround yourself with people. Open up to them, get to know them, let them get to know you. Start to love them, let them love you. Go to Paris with them and get knocked up with words and rhymes, the kind of knocked up that only creates beauty and never pain.

2. Sit there, and listen. Sit there and wait until every single person has stood up and read their soul. Sit there until well after 1st semester has ended, sit there and close your eyes and listen to the sounds of Paris as she dies.

3. Watch as slowly each one of them leaves, one by one they begin to drift away. Schools need applying to, homework needs finishing, no longer does the insomniac have enough time in the hours of his day. One by one they all leave Paris, on to find bigger and better things. Things like Harvard, or Japan, or Sochi.

4. The final step. Stay in Paris. Stay even though you are the last one left to roam her empty streets, stay even though everything you once stood for has left you. Stay even though no matter how loud you scream no one will hear you. Stay in Paris forever.

That's how to be alone. You can never be alone unless you've tasted what it is to be involved, loved, hated, feared, respected. Taste joy, and then stay as everyone else's taste buds forget what it was to be needed.

But I'm not alone,
I stayed in Paris so long that the morning broke and new faces, new dreams arose. I stayed in Paris so long that people no longer recognize me. I'm not the girl they called on announcements, I'm not the girl who's slam you remember, but can't remember why. I'm a no one again.

I put on a black jacket because grey had too much light. I died my hair red,
and let Paris do the rest.

You're never alone for long, if you stay in Paris longer than you wish to admit.

2 comments: