Thursday, September 5, 2013

Innocence. Magic. Wonder. Changes.

  • In kindergarten I had my first crush. Austin Brown. My mom thought it was cute, and I thought he was cute.
  • In second grade I couldn't sleep the night before the back to back episodes of PBS's "Arthur" played. I was disappointed because I thought that meant there was a split screen. 
  • In third grade, Barney wasn't cool anymore.
  • In fourth grade, they tried to teach me the times tables... I still don't know them. (Turns out you don't actually need to know them.)
  • In 5th grade I made a really awesome painting in art class. I painted trees and a monkey. I made a beautiful sunset, that melted into the ground, which was a faint green. The monkey was happy, and I was proud of my masterpiece. Beaming, I walked up with the wet portrait and showed Ms. Owens, the art teacher. She told me that monkeys DON'T smile and there MUST be a distinct definition between land and sky. She said monkeys like BANANAS and trees have BRANCHES.
    So I took my picture and a sharpie. I drew a LINE halfway through, to show distinction between LAND and SKY. Next I turned the SMILE into a FROWN, he was no longer a happy monkey. I got brown and yellow paints and gave him a BANANA. I drew lines through the leaves in the trees and made BRANCHES. I didn't like this new picture as much as the first, but it's what my teacher wanted and I wanted to make her happy. So I less proudly took her my painting. "That's not what I meant for you to do." she said, "You CAN'T just add a line through the middle... you CAN'T just draw a FLOATING banana, and monkeys CAN'T frown either."

    I cried. 

  • In twelfth grade, I learned I can do what I want, because this is my blog, and my art. I am still a child. I still have hopes and dreams. I still believe in Santa, and magic, and that me and Austin will one day be married. I still cry, and I still get sticky.

But it's just not the same. 


8 comments:

  1. I like this post. Wonderful organization.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. It seems simple but it is so powerful. It really hit me...thank you for this. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you explained yourself physically changing what your teacher said was wrong. I could feel that you were upset about it before you said you were. Really good writing. I love how you ended with "twelfth grade", being now, that you realized (like myself) that doing things for others, to please others isn't what we should always be doing. Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "My mom thought it was cute, and I thought he was cute."
    Loved your story about fifth grade. Felt like that was a prime example of how teachers kill creativity.
    Loved how it felt like a loss of innocence and growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. well now is your chance! take risks with your blog and i promise it will be worth it.

    ReplyDelete